LUIGI BAZZANI grew up in a vineyard in the Emilia Romagna region of Northern Italy. He purchased Warrenmang Vineyard in the Australian Pyrenees wine region (Victoria) and saw the first commercial vintage in 1978. Luigi has been involved in winemaking there in a "hands on" capacity since that time. In November 2017, the business of Warrenmang was sold, but Luigi has retained the licence to sell the premium 5 star wines that the new owners declined to purchase.
Luigi, both vigneron and restaurateur, has always worked in conjunction with high profile, professional winemakers including Warrenmang’s final winemaker Greg Foster. Luigi makes decisions re styles, blending and food matching qualities. He is also the visionary who creates “one-off” unique vintages to mark special milestones and events at Warrenmang, such The Miracle, Tribute & Beyond.
Luigi believes in traditional winemaking processes (hand picking, hand plunging, hand pruning, basket pressing) and aims to makes exceptional, intense wine with great character and continuity of style. Luigi is not interested in following fads and fashions but has great faith in his own directions together with immense belief in the Pyrenees as Australia’s truly great wine producing region, particularly Shiraz and cabernet. At vintage, he is willing to gamble with nature to ensure grapes are picked at optimum ripeness to produce the best possible wine.
His passion for winemaking is not motivated by profit, but by a desire to achieve the best possible results from each vintage and he is dedicated to extracting the concentrated flavours from his ultra low yielding Pyrenees vines.
With over 55 years of experience, Luigi Bazzani consistently strives to produce the finest varietal and blends through the marriage of time honoured traditional methods with the knowledge of the new world.
Some of Luigi’s many personal accolades include:
- Honoured to receive the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in 2014 for 45 years of service to Wine, Food and Tourism in Australia.
- Recipient of the Pyrenees Shire Leadership Award in 2015 for Excellence & Leadership in Wine and Wine Tourism
- Winner of The Age Special Award for Excellence (one Victorian recipient each year) for outstanding contribution to the hospitality industry and for achieving levels of excellence in the service of food and wine.
- Honoured twice by the Wine and Food Society of Australia for excellence and contribution to the elevation of standards of food and wine in Australia.
- Past President and Life Member of the Wine and Food Society of Ballarat
- Inducted into “Legend Status” – Melbourne Food and Wine Festival 2008
- Listed in Crown Content’s “Who’s Who in Victoria” 2008